I wrote the following personal statement for my application for the PhD program at the Baylor College of Medicine. The deadline for the application was January 1, 2015 and the program starts in August 2015. I will update this post when I receive the results of my application (admissions offers are usually made in February to April).
Update 1.17.15: It got me an interview! Since I'm currently in Chile, we'll be doing the preliminary interviews via Skype sometime in February. Wish me luck!
Update 1.17.15: It got me an interview! Since I'm currently in Chile, we'll be doing the preliminary interviews via Skype sometime in February. Wish me luck!
Instructions
Please provide an
approximately one page description of why you want to pursue a Ph.D. in the
biomedical sciences including your motivation and both long and short term
goals.
Personal Statement
I am terrified to write this personal statement. In these
words I am supposed to convince you that I am the ideal candidate for your
program, that I will be a successful student if you elect me. But I don’t know
if I can assure you of that, because I am not yet convinced myself.
Why do I want to pursue a PhD in biomedical sciences? I’ll
let Steve Jobs explain this one for me: “The biggest innovations of the 21st
century will be at the intersection of biology and technology. A new era is
beginning.” I will be a key player in this new era; I’m already in the game. In
the two and a half years since graduating with a BA in biology, I’ve helped
launch 6 technology startups, two of which are now valued as multimillion
dollar companies.
What else have I done in those two and a half years? I taught
myself 7 computer languages and a second spoken language, consumed 44 books, lived
in 5 major cities, traveled through 4 foreign countries, surfed an uncountable
number of couches, and created 9 websites, 12 paintings, 3 blogs, and 21 articles.
As Einstein said, “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you
must keep moving.” I've been moving. I've been honing my abilities in business
and technology - now it’s time to focus on science.
Here’s my main short term focus: immerse myself in an
academic environment rich with people who love biology and technology, a place
where I can expand my knowledge of biomedical sciences, an environment where
ideas flow like lightening and learning is achieved every day by experimenting
with the elements of the world with the same sense of curiosity and wonder as a
child contemplating the night sky. My dream is to one day create a modern day
Menlo Park – a laboratory where the brightest minds in science and technology can
gather to bring new and world-changing innovations into being every day. Baylor
is the environment I am craving.
And my long term goals? Besides the Menlo Park dream, I
would like to continue launching businesses, but now in the biomedical field. I
want to create value with my life and my projects, and I feel one of the best
ways to use my talents would be to find commercial applications for the
discoveries we make in the laboratory. I want to use my life to continue exploring
the world through a scientific lens and sow the seeds of innovation and grow new
fruits of medical technology that make others healthier, happier, and more
alive.
One day we will program biological life as simply as we
write a computer program. I want to help make that one day into someday
soon, because with it will come a tsunami of biotechnological advances, a universal
fluidity to the meaning of “life”, and a new era that we may call the
biological revolution.
I am young and foolish, yes, but I am also the future. I am the
next Benjamin Franklin, full of curiosity and life, always running experiments
and documenting better ways to live. I am the next Richard Feynman, pulling
pranks on my peers while making Nobel Prize winning discoveries. I am the next
Steve Jobs, nerdy and a bit socially awkward but working tirelessly to bring
visionary new technology into the world.
And right now, you are God. You are the supreme deity of
this moment in time with the power to forever change my future, the future of Baylor
College, and even the future of the world. I am no longer afraid of the words
on this page. Through reflection and contemplation, I have found the strength
in me to know that I can achieve a PhD in biomedical science and go on to help create
biomedical technologies of which we are now only just dreaming. Will that path include
Baylor College?
You decide.
This is beautifully written. I just started the Steve Jobs biography so I'm happy to see that reference in your essay :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Jacques. :) This got me an interview (I just found out)! Really happy to hear you're reading the bio - I assume the Issacson one? It's sooo good....
DeleteThis was my personal statement I wrote when applying to university. I'm so glad I can get to do the subject that is the love of my life! See more biomedical engineering personal statement
ReplyDelete